MS Wireless Comfort Keyboard 2000 & WIN8.1
Wendelin Uez
2023-09-19 12:33:05 UTC
For an old workstation we have a MS Wireless Comfort Keyboard where we need
to change the mail link.
The actual copy of a MS keyboard configurator does no longer run under
WIN8.1. Does anyone know how to obtain an older version for this? Thank you.
Frank Slootweg
2023-09-19 14:30:27 UTC
Post by Wendelin Uez
For an old workstation we have a MS Wireless Comfort Keyboard where we need
to change the mail link.
The actual copy of a MS keyboard configurator does no longer run under
WIN8.1. Does anyone know how to obtain an older version for this? Thank you.
Have you tried running the (.exe file of the) MS keyboard configurator
in Compatibility Mode? That's the way to (try to) get older programs to
run on newer Windows versions.

And don't you mean you want a *newer* version (of the configurator)
instead of an older one?

BTW, this group is quite abandoned. Last (non-crossposted) post nearly
four months ago. You might want to try more active groups. (Yes, those
are mainly alt groups, not comp groups.)
Wendelin Uez
2023-09-20 09:31:38 UTC
Post by Frank Slootweg
Post by Wendelin Uez
For an old workstation we have a MS Wireless Comfort Keyboard where we need
to change the mail link.
The actual copy of a MS keyboard configurator does no longer run under
WIN8.1. Does anyone know how to obtain an older version for this? Thank you.
Have you tried running the (.exe file of the) MS keyboard configurator
in Compatibility Mode? That's the way to (try to) get older programs to
run on newer Windows versions.
Yes. The unpacking program does run and starts installation, and the
installation programm works a few seconds and then reports in a longer
sequence that a (unexplained) error occured and system requirements might
not be satisfied.
Post by Frank Slootweg
And don't you mean you want a *newer* version (of the configurator)
instead of an older one?
I don't thing so. MS delivers newest versions only for WIN 10/11 and those
may no longer support WIN 8.1 so I need a version published under WIN 8.1
rather than WIN 10/11.
Post by Frank Slootweg
BTW, this group is quite abandoned. Last (non-crossposted) post nearly
four months ago. You might want to try more active groups. (Yes, those
are mainly alt groups, not comp groups.)
Thanks, I'll check if my NG provider offers such a group. Thank you very
much.

wuez
Frank Slootweg
2023-09-20 19:21:36 UTC
Post by Wendelin Uez
Post by Frank Slootweg
And don't you mean you want a *newer* version (of the configurator)
instead of an older one?
I don't thing so. MS delivers newest versions only for WIN 10/11 and those
may no longer support WIN 8.1 so I need a version published under WIN 8.1
rather than WIN 10/11.
I see. I thought you had an old (pre-8) version of the software which
you wanted to run on a newer Windows version (8.1), but it is the other
way around.

I did a bit of searching on Google and microsoft.com, but did not find
anything. For a search, one needs the *exact* product name/number of the
keyboard, the exact name of the software, etc. and of course I don't
have that information.

I also looked on oldversion.com, but that probably mainly has (old)
software *for* Windows and not so much (old) software *by* Microsoft.

If you have a URL of the place where the software used to be or is,
you might want to try the Internet Archive at archive.org.
Post by Wendelin Uez
Post by Frank Slootweg
BTW, this group is quite abandoned. Last (non-crossposted) post nearly
four months ago. You might want to try more active groups. (Yes, those
are mainly alt groups, not comp groups.)
Thanks, I'll check if my NG provider offers such a group. Thank you very
much.
FYI, these are the (other) groups I'm subscribed to:

microsoft.public.windowsxp.general Probably dead, because 'owned' by MS.
alt.windows7.general Quite active.
alt.comp.os.windows-8 Quite dormant, so crosspost to 8 and 7.
alt.comp.os.windows-10 Very active. Users might have used 7/8.
alt.comp.os.windows-11 Quite active.

Feel free to crosspost your response - if any - to one or more of
these groups, including our exchanges quoted above.

Happy hunting!