windows xp waveaudio mci device driver for older game
Dave
2006-09-16 22:49:29 UTC
Hello,
I apologize if this is off topic, but i've been googling for two days
trying to find this driver and haven't got anywhere.
I've got an older game,
"Silent Steel" that although it runs under windows xp the initial
installation halts nonfatally with an error about the waveaudio
mci device driver not being found or loaded. I'm assuming this is something
sound-card specific, i hope that is wrong, because i am using an onboard
ac97 card and didn't see one of these drivers in another google search. I've
seen conflicting things on this, most of it for developers saying that mci
works, but apparently there's a driver i don't have. I read this driver was
in 98, but apparently xp doesn't have it or ship with it. Can anyone shed
any light
on this?
Thanks.
Dave.
relic
2006-09-16 23:25:38 UTC
Post by Dave
Hello,
I apologize if this is off topic, but i've been googling for two
days trying to find this driver and haven't got anywhere.
I've got an older game,
"Silent Steel" that although it runs under windows xp the initial
installation halts nonfatally with an error about the waveaudio
mci device driver not being found or loaded. I'm assuming this is
something sound-card specific, i hope that is wrong, because i am
using an onboard ac97 card and didn't see one of these drivers in
another google search. I've seen conflicting things on this, most of
it for developers saying that mci works, but apparently there's a
driver i don't have. I read this driver was in 98, but apparently xp
doesn't have it or ship with it. Can anyone shed any light
on this?
You should have gotten a CD with your motherboard that has the drivers you
need. Or, download them from your motherboard site.
Dave
2006-09-17 03:15:07 UTC
Thanks for writing. This box is a refurbished machine, and it came with
no CD. Xp detected everything just fine, it installs ac97 sound drivers,
just not the mci drivers needed in this case. The box is a Compaq
Professional Workstation AP250.
Thanks.
Dave.
relic
2006-09-17 03:31:28 UTC
Post by Dave
Hi,
Thanks for writing. This box is a refurbished machine, and it came
with no CD. Xp detected everything just fine, it installs ac97 sound
drivers, just not the mci drivers needed in this case. The box is a
Compaq Professional Workstation AP250.
Thanks.
Dave.
It's common for the drivers bundled with Windows XP to only support a part
of the capabilities. You probably need the whole driver from Compaq for full
support.

Your ac97 Driver:
http://h18007.www1.hp.com/support/files/DeskproWorkstation/us/download/14501.html

Note, that HP/Compaq didn't certify this driver for XP (it's certified for
"up to 2000"), but XP is based on 2000 and 2000 drivers work fine with XP.
relic
2006-09-17 03:32:23 UTC
Post by relic
Post by Dave
Hi,
Thanks for writing. This box is a refurbished machine, and it came
with no CD. Xp detected everything just fine, it installs ac97 sound
drivers, just not the mci drivers needed in this case. The box is a
Compaq Professional Workstation AP250.
Thanks.
Dave.
It's common for the drivers bundled with Windows XP to only support a
part of the capabilities. You probably need the whole driver from
Compaq for full support.
http://h18007.www1.hp.com/support/files/DeskproWorkstation/us/download/14501.html
Note, that HP/Compaq didn't certify this driver for XP (it's
certified for "up to 2000"), but XP is based on 2000 and 2000 drivers
work fine with XP.
Never mind... it has been certified for XP now.
Post by relic
John of Aix
2006-09-17 17:05:54 UTC
Post by Dave
Hello,
I apologize if this is off topic, but i've been googling for two
days trying to find this driver and haven't got anywhere.
I've got an older game,
"Silent Steel" that although it runs under windows xp the initial
installation halts nonfatally with an error about the waveaudio
mci device driver not being found or loaded. I'm assuming this is
something sound-card specific, i hope that is wrong, because i am
using an onboard ac97 card and didn't see one of these drivers in
another google search. I've seen conflicting things on this, most of
it for developers saying that mci works, but apparently there's a
driver i don't have. I read this driver was in 98, but apparently xp
doesn't have it or ship with it. Can anyone shed any light
on this?
You could try running the game under compatibility mode. Find the
programme (not the shortcut) right click/properties then the
Compatibility tab.
p***@gmail.com
2015-04-27 23:30:38 UTC
Post by Dave
[...]
I'M HAVING THE SAME PROBLEM WITH THE SAME GAME!