[Win 8.1] Getting rid of the sidebar
Volker N. Englisch
2018-05-01 13:22:50 UTC
When moving the mouse pointer, sometimes those sidebars appear, as well
as a big window showing date and time. A screenshop is available at

(150 kB). Google tells a lot of means to get rid of that sidebar, but
unfortunately none of these tips were able to let that sidebar disappear
forever.

Any hint on how to stop that (in my opinion) bad behaviour of Win 8.1?
Without moving to Win 10. :-)
B00ze
2018-05-02 02:58:57 UTC
http://sites.inka.de/~rsli/zbv/Win81.jpg
(150 kB). Google tells a lot of means to get rid of that sidebar, but
unfortunately none of these tips were able to let that sidebar disappear
forever.
Any hint on how to stop that (in my opinion) bad behaviour of Win 8.1?
Without moving to Win 10. :-)
It *is* annoying right? Unfortunately, there are a couple things you can
ONLY do from the Sidebar, like managing your known wireless networks. I
have not attempted to disable it, I'm not sure it's possible...

Regards,
--
! _\|/_ Sylvain / ***@hotmail.com
! (o o) Member:David-Suzuki-Fdn/EFF/Red+Cross/SPCA/Planetary-Society
oO-( )-Oo Don't steal! The government hates the competition.
Volker Englisch
2018-05-03 16:54:20 UTC
Post by B00ze
Post by Volker N. Englisch
When moving the mouse pointer, sometimes those sidebars appear, as well
as a big window showing date and time. A screenshop is available at
http://sites.inka.de/~rsli/zbv/Win81.jpg
(150 kB). Google tells a lot of means to get rid of that sidebar, but
unfortunately none of these tips were able to let that sidebar disappear
forever.
Any hint on how to stop that (in my opinion) bad behaviour of Win 8.1?
Without moving to Win 10. :-)
It *is* annoying right? Unfortunately, there are a couple things you can
ONLY do from the Sidebar, like managing your known wireless networks. I
have not attempted to disable it, I'm not sure it's possible...
Yes, I think it's very annoying. When I have to manage my known WiFi
networks, I just enter the system control panel. Is there really any
task that can /only/ be done from the sidebar?

I still want to get rid of it :-)
B00ze
2018-05-04 05:26:57 UTC
Post by Volker Englisch
Post by B00ze
Post by Volker N. Englisch
When moving the mouse pointer, sometimes those sidebars appear, as well
as a big window showing date and time. A screenshop is available at
http://sites.inka.de/~rsli/zbv/Win81.jpg
(150 kB). Google tells a lot of means to get rid of that sidebar, but
unfortunately none of these tips were able to let that sidebar disappear
forever.
Any hint on how to stop that (in my opinion) bad behaviour of Win 8.1?
Without moving to Win 10. :-)
It *is* annoying right? Unfortunately, there are a couple things you can
ONLY do from the Sidebar, like managing your known wireless networks. I
have not attempted to disable it, I'm not sure it's possible...
Yes, I think it's very annoying. When I have to manage my known WiFi
networks, I just enter the system control panel. Is there really any
task that can /only/ be done from the sidebar?
Lol, I thought that the only way to get there was the sidebar. I'm
pretty sure I tried the control panel first and could not get there. But
it was at work, so time was limited, I might've missed something.
Post by Volker Englisch
I still want to get rid of it :-)
Indeed, my work laptop has some issue where that sidebar pops-up
constantly when I use the mousepad, it's really annoying. But I'm due
for a re-image to Win10 anyway, so I haven't spent time looking for a
way to disable it...

Regards,
--
! _\|/_ Sylvain / ***@hotmail.com
! (o o) Member:David-Suzuki-Fdn/EFF/Red+Cross/SPCA/Planetary-Society
oO-( )-Oo Don't let Kirk show you what he calls The Captain's Log.