Windows groups
Peter Kozlov
2018-05-17 16:04:32 UTC
Are there no popular Windows usenet groups?

I've downloaded 50 of the most recent from about 20. So far none of
them seem to be trading messages that much back and forth.
Peter Kozlov
Frank Slootweg
2018-05-17 17:32:20 UTC
Post by Peter Kozlov
Are there no popular Windows usenet groups?
I've downloaded 50 of the most recent from about 20. So far none of
them seem to be trading messages that much back and forth.
I had the same experience, so some time ago I searched for and
subscribed to some groups.

This is my current list (aside from comp.os.ms-windows.misc and some
local-language groups):

alt.comp.os.windows-10
is quite active and also has some general - i.e. not 10-specific - stuff.

alt.comp.os.windows-8
has some - but not much traffic.

microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
has some traffic, but probably mostly stuff which is cross-posted to
other groups.
This group is dead on the microsoft side, but is happily kept alive on
Usenet.

HTH.
Peter Kozlov
Peter Kozlov
Spalls Hurgenson
2018-05-18 13:02:23 UTC
Post by Frank Slootweg
Post by Peter Kozlov
Are there no popular Windows usenet groups?
I've downloaded 50 of the most recent from about 20. So far none of
them seem to be trading messages that much back and forth.
I had the same experience, so some time ago I searched for and
subscribed to some groups.
This is my current list (aside from comp.os.ms-windows.misc and some
alt.comp.os.windows-10
is quite active and also has some general - i.e. not 10-specific - stuff.
alt.comp.os.windows-8
has some - but not much traffic.
microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
has some traffic, but probably mostly stuff which is cross-posted to
other groups.
This group is dead on the microsoft side, but is happily kept alive on
Usenet.
Also add:
alt.windows7.general gets about 10-20 messages per day too.
(about 1/4 of the windows-10 group)
Frank Slootweg
2018-05-18 15:15:54 UTC
Post by Spalls Hurgenson
Post by Frank Slootweg
Post by Peter Kozlov
Are there no popular Windows usenet groups?
I've downloaded 50 of the most recent from about 20. So far none of
them seem to be trading messages that much back and forth.
I had the same experience, so some time ago I searched for and
subscribed to some groups.
This is my current list (aside from comp.os.ms-windows.misc and some
alt.comp.os.windows-10
is quite active and also has some general - i.e. not 10-specific - stuff.
alt.comp.os.windows-8
has some - but not much traffic.
microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
has some traffic, but probably mostly stuff which is cross-posted to
other groups.
This group is dead on the microsoft side, but is happily kept alive on
Usenet.
alt.windows7.general gets about 10-20 messages per day too.
(about 1/4 of the windows-10 group)
Thanks! I thought I had subscribed to that (and thought it was
inactive), but apparently I did not.

FWIW, my news server - News.Individual.[DE|NET] - also has:

alt.windows
alt.windows95
alt.windows98
alt.windows-me
alt.windows-w2k
alt.windows-xp

alt.comp.os.windows-xp
alt.os.windows.xp
alt.os.windows2000
alt.os.windows95
alt.os.windows-vista
alt.os.windows-xp

I haven't checked any of those for traffic.
Peter Kozlov
2018-05-18 19:12:46 UTC
On Fri, 18 May 2018 09:02:23 -0400, Spalls Hurgenson
Post by Spalls Hurgenson
Post by Frank Slootweg
Post by Peter Kozlov
Are there no popular Windows usenet groups?
I've downloaded 50 of the most recent from about 20. So far none of
them seem to be trading messages that much back and forth.
I had the same experience, so some time ago I searched for and
subscribed to some groups.
This is my current list (aside from comp.os.ms-windows.misc and some
alt.comp.os.windows-10
is quite active and also has some general - i.e. not 10-specific - stuff.
alt.comp.os.windows-8
has some - but not much traffic.
microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
has some traffic, but probably mostly stuff which is cross-posted to
other groups.
This group is dead on the microsoft side, but is happily kept alive on
Usenet.
alt.windows7.general gets about 10-20 messages per day too.
(about 1/4 of the windows-10 group)
Thanks. I've added it. Nice to see a little community still exists
here.
Peter Kozlov
m***@gmail.com
2018-05-19 20:17:00 UTC
Post by Peter Kozlov
Are there no popular Windows usenet groups?
I've downloaded 50 of the most recent from about 20. So far none of
them seem to be trading messages that much back and forth.
--
Peter Kozlov
I think all such activities has (unfortunately) moved to Facebook groups and other modern web forums.